Sunday, April 6, 2014

Wanna Cook?

Wanna Cook?: The Complete, Unofficial Companion to Breaking BadWanna Cook?: The Complete, Unofficial Companion to Breaking Bad by Ensley F. Guffey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Wanna Cook? is an episode guide for the exquisite television program, Breaking Bad.

I got this from Netgalley.

Wanna Cook is an episode by episode analysis of the rise and fall of one Walter White, cancer sufferer and meth cook. Each episode is picked apart, highlighting the milestones on Walt's rise and fall, as well as commentary on the actors and camera work. Some of the symbolism is also picked apart.

The writing is pretty good and I liked learning about the underlying philosophy of the show. I thought they may have read a little too much into some of the symbolism, however. The book made me want to watch Breaking Bad in its entirety once again. There were some clever insights and I enjoyed the trip down memory lane immensely but I'm not sure how necessary the book actually is in this day and age since there are probably thousands of websites out there dissecting Breaking Bad in great detail.

The only thing I thought may have been lacking in the book was that there were no "what might have been" sections. No mention was made that Jesse PInkman wasn't originally intended to survive the first season, for instance.

Wanna Cook is a good look back at a great TV show. I am on the one who knocks! Three out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment