Monday, January 23, 2017

Review: Whispers From The Abyss 2: The Horrors That Were and Shall Be

Whispers From The Abyss 2: The Horrors That Were and Shall Be Whispers From The Abyss 2: The Horrors That Were and Shall Be by Laird Barron
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Whispers from the Abyss 2 is a collection of 25 tales inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

I donated for the Kickstarter that created this anthology. It was well worth it.

Much like the original Whispers from the Abyss, Whispers From the Abyss 2 is a collection of tales designed to be wolfed down in one sitting.

Like all anthologies, the quality of the tales vary. Quality-wise, I felt like this one was a step behind the original. However, the content was worth the price, maybe even a wider range of Lovecraftian nasties than the previous one. Azathoth and the Innsmouth folk were prominently featured, always a plus in my book.

For my money, the standouts of Whispers from the Abyss 2 are We Are Not These Bodies, Strung Between the Stars by AC Wise, The Labyrinth of Sleep by Orrin Grey, Death May Die by Nathan Wunnder, Shadow Transit by Ferrett Steinmetz, Lucky Chuck Takes the Sunshine Express by John Palisano, and The Vindication of Y'ha-Nthlei by David Busboom.

While I didn't enjoy it as much as Whispers from the Abyss or Heroes of Red Hook, Whispers From the Abyss 2 was still a good weird fiction anthology. I'll be ready when the Kickstarter for the third volume is announced. 3.5 out of 5 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment